23 April 2013

A Little Sweetness

You know those nights when you just need something a little sweet? Nothing crazy like a giant bowl of ice cream, but just one thing. Like a cupcake! I'm the first to admit that I hate making cupcakes not because they are particularly difficult to make, but because there are so many of them. I don't want them in my house and I always seem to "forget" to take them to work for my student workers to finish. This lead me to search for recipes for just two cupcakes. These are remarkably difficult to find, but I did finally find a few. The one really caught my eye (no egg!)...

Chocolate Cupcakes for Two 
(stolen/adapted from here: An Edible Mosaic)

Ingredients
3 tbsp. flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 tsp. + 1/16 tsp. baking soda
1/16 tsp. salt
1/16 tsp. instant coffee powder (optional)
3 tbsp. milk
1 tbsp. canola oil
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350F; line a muffin tray with 2 paper liners.
2. Whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and coffee powder in a medium bowl. Add the milk, oil, and vanilla, and stir just until combined, being careful not to over-mix.
3. Divide the batter between the 2 lined muffin wells and bake until a toothpick inserted inside comes out clean, about 18 to 22 minutes.
4. Cool 5 minutes in the tray, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
5. Sprinkle a little powdered sugar on top, or frost with your favorite frosting, nut butter, or jam.

Notes
Measurement Tip: Note that 1/16 teaspoon is about 1 pinch.

And here's the frosting:

Irish Cream Buttercream Frosting
(stolen/adapted from Diethood)

Ingredients
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. Irish cream liqueur

Directions
1. Place all ingredients in electric mixer bowl; mix until smooth and fluffy.
2. Spread on top of cooled cupcakes.

Hope you enjoy this as much as I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment